Friday, March 7, 2014

Horses and Purple - A 2 Year Old's New Digs


Baby Girls' room is a big girl room too!  She's no longer in a crib and instead has the adorable toddler bed her big sister had before.  Can't believe she's two and is sleeping in a bed and not a crib!  (Speaking of - anyone want to buy a white crib and mattress?  It's in GREAT shape!)  

Anyhow, when I had asked D what color she wanted her new room I got a very serious 'puple' as only a two year old can say it.  Adorable, of course. 

Purple and I have a love/hate relationship - I always think it's a lovely color on most people I see wearing it and I 'kind of' like a pale lilac or lavendar but in a room?  Again - with the smaller sized bedrooms the girls have (and I know, they're standard and in no way small) but can you imagine all four walls in a bright purple?  Ugh.  And yes, I'm aware the Pantone Color of the Year is Radiant Orchid but I'm pretty sure they don't mean to use it all at once - it's supposed to be subtle people....  Anyhow, I tried a few different shades of lavendar on the wall and we ended up with:

Behr's Pearl Violet and again had it color matched so we could get Sherwin Williams' Cashmere paint.

I'm super happy with how the paint looks - again, it's subtle like in her older sister's room but you can tell it's not just an off shade of white.  
 As you walk in - another wall with hearts!  I just can't get enough.... the lilac on the lilac walls turned out so cute (I was worried too)!  

Aside from the purple in the room, the other inspiration was this amazing fabric from the Wee Wander line by Sara Jane:
Sarah Jane - Wee Wander - Summer Ride in Seafoam


Isn't it AWESOME?!  It has the horses on it which D loves these days and it has a subtle amount of purple along with some other great colors!  The background is definitely more a teal than a turquoise (way more green in there) but I like it!  It also compliments a few of the items that we'd had in little girls nursery back in FL too.  Always nice if you can re-use some things!!!  

We had bedding for this adorable toddler bed our friends had given us (thanks Kaaren & Nick) but I wanted to use the adorable horsey fabric.... I ended up making a cover for the comforter and it worked fantastic!  I basically made a huge pillowcase and then sewed it shut.  I also added some purple ric rac trim too because ric rac seriously makes everything cuter.  ;)  I got a few more fabrics from the collection and made a couple of pillow cases for her pillows too.  It came together SO fantastically!  Don't you think?

Against the main wall in her room I added some DIY artwork and wall art.  I used fabric scraps from the duvet cover and pillow cases as well as trims, notions and fabrics I had in my stash that all went together - they became this lovely strip garland:


The scroll picture frame is the Ung frame from Ikea.  I've had it for a year or more (bought it on a whim at the Ikea in Orlando) but never really knew what I'd wanted to do with it.  Fast forward to needing 'large art' to fill that wall behind D's bed and it was put to good use!  I spray painted it using a gorgeous lilac color by Krylon called "Gum Drop" and used spray adhesive to add some of the pretty Wee Wander fabric.  I still need to figure out what to actually put inside the frame but I'm leaning towards a small yarn wreath or some special embroidery hoop art - a project for the future!  Any suggestions?
In the 'reading and rocking' area I added a few little special touches:  a funky fabric and trim chandelier and a gallery featuring found and made artwork.  
The inspiration for this fun chandelier was found via Pinterest on the blog: Decor Hacks.  I just loved the idea of making something special out of an old lampshade and extra fabric. Obviously that's a theme with some of my decorating - remember my 'scrappy lampshade'?
The 'd' art was made using scrapbook paper and a thrifted picture frame.  The Horse 'dream' art was purchased last summer on our special five week vacation to my hometown in MT and the carousel horse artwork was found via Etsy and this fantastic shop:  Avitalos.  I found a great pre-made frame for it at Hobby Lobby and they cut the mat for it.  The frame was actually black and I was so anal you all that I spray painted it white as soon as we got it home.  I hated the idea of ONE stupid black frame in the whole room!  Of course my hubby thinks I'm crazy...
Once again curtains caused me a WHOLE lot of heartache in this room - I had NO CLUE how I was ever going to find the right shade of purple to work in this room but perseverence (and an unhealthy addiction to online shopping) paid off!  These lovely scroll print beauties were on sale/clearance from Land of Nod!  I was stoked!  Of course they weren't lined and the shipping was painfully high but I am so happy with them.  I ended up purchasing some great drapery lining fabric at JoAnne's and sewing it to the backs - just the perfect amount of blackout lining to help my little one nap in the afternoons - VERY IMPORTANT PEOPLE.  I moved some of the artwork around above her changing table and wouldn't ya know - every single diaper change on that table she comments but that's ok.  The 'love' print was purchased for her original nursery and the metal flower art is from Hobby Lobby in their garden section.
The view from her bed looking towards her closet and doorway.
And I HAD to include a pic of little girls' adorable dolly bed - my parents made this one as well as one for my older girl too.  The girls love having a special bed for their dollies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment