Sunday, February 10, 2013

I Can Sew For Myself!


Ok, so I'm pretty proud of myself - for a few different reasons.  First off, I made the time and got a project done that I've been wanting to do for a month!  Second - I made something for MYSELF and third (though not as important) - I used up some fabric that I've had in my stash for about 3 years.  :)

I made a skirt and it's all mine!  Not for a friend, not for my Etsy shop (although I should get off my tush and make something new to put in there) and not for one of my kids!  Yeah for me!  I found this great tutorial ages ago via Etsy:  Sew A Skirt In One Hour.  It had plain, easy to follow instructions and I figured - I could easily do this!  I also incorporated some things I've learned making these skirts for my daughter's too:  Lil Blue Boo's apron skirt tutorial

This fabric was just begging for me to do something with it and I was happy to oblige!  I love all the great colors in it (can you find the celery green and the pale pink?) and although the main 'rust' color in the fabric is not something I would normally wear I figured if anything at all - it would pair REALLY, really well with a chambray shirt.  :)

I was planning on making something a bit more advanced 'sewing skills-wise' - something like this:
Source: vievesscrapbooking

But instead I decided to just keep things simple my first time around.  (I'll make this one next time!!!!)  I made the EASIEST ever gathered waist skirt.  My big challenge this time around?  Making a blind hem stitch.  It's a lot easier than it sounds, especially using a great tutorial like this:  No Big Dill's Blind Stitch Tutorial.  (Just a note - I just used my regular sewing machine foot to do this - no special foot for me!)

Here's a peek at how my hem ended up looking:

And my finished product:



Some things about this skirt I don't love:  there is a LOT of fabric around that waist so it's kind of 'thick'  for lack of a better word.  That's why I like the alternative skirt shown above - the plain waistband with a bow tied front would allow for a lot less material right at the waist - but, overall I think this turned out so cute and can't wait to wear it more!

No comments:

Post a Comment