Monday, September 24, 2012

Halloween Trees


I have become a little obsessed with decorating for Halloween.  There are so many fantastic ideas out there for DIY decorations and crafts....  It also helps that my three year old daughter has recently decided that 'scary stories' and things like witches and spiders are all fun and exciting - she thinks it's great!

I have a good stash, including a lot of the items I made/found last year (Halloween garland, fabric runners, etc) and a few clearance items I picked up at Target after the holiday.  I even came across a few cute things at TJMaxx earlier this season and my goodness, the ideas on Pinterest lately have been FANTASTIC!

This idea came to me when I was perusing the witches and owls and bats at Hobby Lobby a couple weeks ago.  They had these gorgeous black feather trees but they were a bit spendy.  Instead, I was reminded of these trees that I did a few years ago for Christmas decor:
Holiday Christmas Tree Tutorial

and figured - heck, I could easily adapt them to be for Halloween!


SO... I searched the store and luckily found two kraft paper cone trees (that were also 40% off - score!) and purchased some really fantastic Halloween scrapbook paper.  I also invested in a 'normal-size' stapler since we've been using a mini version for as long as we've been married.....  still felt like folding and stapling a hundred-plus little strips of paper gave me carpal tunnel but it helped a bit.  :)

Here's how this version turned out:
These are great Kraft paper trees!  I painted them black to begin with....
a closer look at my paint job - doesn't need to be perfect!
I found some really awesome holiday papers at Hobby Lobby - that chevron is amazing and the owls slay me!
the cause of my carpal tunnel (does anyone know how to spell that?  I'm too lazy to Google it!)
more loops of paper!

then start gluing!!!  and gluing and gluing and GLUING!
the taller tree - finished!

I added some crepe paper fringe at the top - LOVING IT
the cute pair
and a closer look....


I'm linking up to:

Home Stories A2Z

4 comments:

  1. I want to go to a craft store with you and have a crafting day! You're so inspired and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea. Must make a few for my mantel this fall.

    Thanks for the inspiration!
    Ashley @3littlegreenwoods

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to try this for Christmas with my grandchildren!! Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! Thank you for sharing! I am inspired and will be making some trees of my own!

    ReplyDelete